banner

Bury St. Edmunds Model Railway Club

Airfix/Oakham - OO Gauge Exhibition Layout

Airfix/Oakham Exhibition Data Sheet
This layout is based on the Airfix railway system, the company began in 1939 and the first construction kit, a Ferguson Tractor, was produced in 1949. During the war years the factory was used for production of plastic parts for Hurricane fighter planes.

In 1957 Airfix started production of 00 building construction kits, most are shown on the layout. In 1975 they decided to enter the model railway market. All engines and many of the wagons and coaches are used on the layout. Shortly after exhibiting at toy fairs in early 1981 Airfix ceased production.

Most engines had 5 pole motors, the track was code 100, made under an agreement by Peco, and as early as 1976 Airfix offered a multi train system using a chip in the loco allowing several engines to be run at the same time.
All buildings, locomotives, wagons, carriages, people, road vehicles and some of the track are original Airfix products. (The scenery and back drop has been added to enhance the layout)

The layout is 11 feet long including fiddle yard, and 1 foot wide. It runs on DC system and requires 2 operators. The layout was built by Terry & Pauline Brooks.

To book our layouts for your exhibition, please email our members representative, Neil Chapman